2010 Faves: 11 Great Local Recordings
11 Great Local Recordings
Our local favorites are influenced by a variety of factors. There’s the oodles of promotional CDs and downloads we receive from a never-ending supply of aspiring local musicians; exposure to bands at the many live shows we book, promote and attend; and, of course, the personal relationships we form with members of Seattle’s rich music community. In fact, members of some bands we once championed have joined our ranks as contributors; others simply tip their hat to new artists we should pay attention to.
Each year, this great network of writers, musicians and music fans leads to a unique and diverse, yet incomplete, list of favorites. Consuming all of the music the Puget Sound has to offer in a year is a mammoth, impossible task, but a noble one nonetheless. There are others in town who clearly have a broader view – Sound on the Sound and Three Imaginary Girls are just two examples – but the bands listed below are our personal favorites from some of the most exciting artists in town.
Rather than harp about why we love them, we’ve opted to share a video. Hopefully it’s intriguing enough to send you to the artist’s website, their band camp page and one of their live shows. We think they’re worth your time.
11) Panama Gold – Panama Gold
10) Psychic Battleship – Glass Elevator[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvHoOwq-IPk]
9) Babe Summer – Summer Babes
No video available. Download a couple songs from their website.
8) Failure EP – Eastern Grip
No video available. Check them out on MySpace.
7) Blood Candy – The Posies
6) Quarters – Truckasaurus[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkR_562s7bo]
5) Learning – Perfume Genius
4) Enchanted Chapel – The Young Evils[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbr4IQQ1bNE]
3) The One That Got Awake – See Me River
2) Shabazz Palaces & Of Light EPs – Shabazz Palaces[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZKPaSF0GE]
1) Failed Graves – The Lights
More 2010 Favorites